July 27, 2012

Chicago

We are moving to Chicago for 3 months!  The exclamation point attached to the end of that sentence doesn't mean I'm terribly excited, it means that I'm scared beyond all measure.  There is a bit of excitement in there as well, but I don't know anything about the city, how to get around, what to do with just Dori and I, and not knowing anyone at all.  

Gary's job has asked him to go to the office in Chicago for 3 months to help with a project, and we agreed it would be the best thing for him and his career.  He was so flattered that they had asked him since he hasn't been with the company for very long and already wanted his help in other areas.

Yes, it's an adventure.  Yes, it's like a long vacation.  Yes, Chicago is supposed to be the greatest place on earth.  But let me just tell you my side too.

Becoming a mom was the hardest thing I've ever had to do.  I'm not saying it was easy for anyone out there, but I seemed to take it much worse than others did.  I did not adjust well at first and I was very unhappy.  Over the last 9 months it's gotten easier, and better, and I love Dori with all of my heart!  She is my best friend ever!  But I didn't get there on my own.  I had the support of SO MANY people.  My family, my friends, my neighbors, my ward...everyone helped me get where I am now, which is feeling quite content with being Dori's mom.  And now I'm supposed to leave it here for 3 months?  

I know I can do it, I know I'll adjust and learn how to get around, I know I'll meet new people, I just know it's going to be hard not to have the physical support I have here.  Gary will be working a lot in Chicago which means Dori and I will be attached at the hip every day all day.  Literally.  

I could very well be blogging that I don't ever want to leave Chicago behind, but for now, it's nerve racking.

1 comments:

Hali said...

You can do it!!! If I have to I will ride Calvin's bike out to visit you and bring you back here! I love you guys and am so excited for a great opportunity that you have. I will miss you so much, but know this will make your family stronger!