March 27, 2009

Simply Amazing!

I don't even have words to say how wonderful today was! My friend Brooke, whom I work with, told me about the Spring Special Olympics, and we decided to take today off of work to go volunteer! We were assigned to be motivational support at the bowling games. I didn't know what to expect on the way to the bowling alley, but I left with such a great feeling! Brooke and I were assigned to two lanes, and 7 participants. Benny, Josh, John, Charlie, Nate (my favorite), Laurie and Amanda. Amanda is deaf so we didn't get a chance to communicate with her or get to know her as well as the others. We got to spend time with each of these kids as they all took turns to come up and bowl. They took every chance they could to hug us, high five us, or in John's case, tickle us! Everyone had such a sweet and positive attitude and surprised me when they threw their ball down the lanes. These kids are definately very special people. I couldn't help but love them after just a few minutes of spending time with them.

Here is the whole team!
Josh was a gold medal winner! He had the strongest throw of them all, and got lots of strikes! That's Charlie in the background!

Benny was our other gold medalist. Benny was the happiest one among us all.
John really wanted to be Brooke's boyfriend, and my boyfriend at the same time. What a little tickle flirt!
Last but not least is my little Nate. He was my favorite of the day. Nobody could ever be as sweet as this guy!

I'm so glad that I got to experience this today. What a rewarding and humbling experience. One of the best parts was the compliments and gratitude from the parents of the participants. They were so happy that their kids had such caring helpers. It was too impossible not to adore them!

As a side note, everyone was encouraged to take a pledge that they would stop using the "r" word. I hope it never slips from my mouth again.

2 comments:

Alisha said...

That sounds (and looks) like it was a lot of fun! Good job for taking the time to care. you rock.

Darby said...

I'm so pleased with this! Good for you for volunteering. Aren't these kids fun?!