June 1, 2008

How We Met




My mom called me one day wondering if it would be okay if she gave my phone number to a lady at work and have her son call me for a date. She had talked about setting me up with all types of guys but this was the first time she acted upon it. I didn't have a big problem with it so I said "okay but only if his name isn't Otis and he's neutered." Then she told me I was weird and that was that. Well I got home from work that same day, checked my email, checked my Facebook, and had a new friend request. Gary Fifield. I had never heard his name before in my life. I checked out his pictures and I was like "huh, this guy is NOT ugly." So I went to accept him as my friend and added a note as to how we knew each other. I think I was trying to impress him with my random humor, so here is how we met.

We both have the same dry cleaner and our pants got switched, so we had to meet up with no pants on to swap clothes. From there it's all history.

And that is why we now refer to each other as Marci Pants and Gary Pants. I think so anyway. Next thing I know I have a text message saying "This is Gary, I'm not neutered, but I'd like to take you out." Then I figured out he was Facebook boy and felt a little stupid about the comment I made. But we set up a date and time for our first date and ended up having lots and lots of fun. It wasn't obvious on the first date that we were madly in love. We had to wait for date number 2.

But I want to give a little background of the set up. You see, my mom and dad were high school sweethearts, and they went to school with Gary's dad, who dated my mom's best friend. (but really he had a pretty big crush on my mom.) And all these years later, my mom ended up working with Gary's mom, and they became BFF. They talked about their kids all the time, and the more they talked, the more they started to think that maybe it would be a good idea to set the 2 of us up. They didn't do anything about it for months though. I was getting over a pretty bad break up, and they didn't want to risk anything hurting their friendship. But then it just became too obvious that their kids were made for each other. And turns out they are!

Marci

0 comments: