April 25, 2009

Feed Me

There are times when I wish the chub under my chin wasn't so noticible when I smile for cameras, and times that I wish that my arms were idential to Jennifer Aniston's. I wish the clothes that I wore a year ago weren't so difficult to pull on and that I could still shop the in the size 6 area. (long ago!) I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. It's obvious that there is a big issue with size and image in our world. I'm a very sensitive person so I can't help but get discouraged when I don't measure up to other women who are considered "perfect."

A few weeks ago I made Gary take me shopping at Barnes and Nobel. I love books and I love buying books and I love reading books!! I didn't have anything in particular that I was looking for, but I came across a book called "Feed Me." I was intrigued so I sat down and started to read. It wasn't a novel and it wasn't a self help book. It was a compilation of essays written by all types of women from all walks of life. They share their views on food, why they love it, why they hate it, and how it affects their lives. Some are heart breaking, some are hilarious, but mostly they are all very insightful.

One of the essays I found very interesting was about a lady whose daughter suffered from anorexia, and her experience of becoming healthy again. When her daughter was rail thin, she would receive endless compliments on her figure, even though her face was sunk in, her hair unhealthy, and her emotional state in ruins. Once she started gaining weight, the compliments stopped even though her skin was healthy and glowing, and she was much happier than ever before.

Since reading these essays, I've come to be more accepting and proud of my physical appearance. I've become less uptight about what I eat, and I have actually been eating healthier. I haven't lost weight but I haven't gained it either. I don't compare myself with others the way I used to and I'm even a little more focused on being more healthy. Life is too short to stress over our physical flaws and we were all made the way we are for a reason, and we're all beautiful!

I'll get off the soap box now.

5 comments:

Hali said...

You are beautiful!!!! and well so am I, but that is another story. hehe I will have to get that book from you that sounds interesting.

Krista said...

I love what you wrote, especially in the last paragraph. It is so sad how the world makes us feel that we need to look a certain way to be accepted. Thanks for sharing this!

clairesmom05 said...

That gave me chills. Thanks for writing this! I too have been working on eating healthy, not just a diet that I know I will fail at. I feel happier AND I have lost 16lbs! (I don't know when the last time that happened!) Thanks again Marci!

Rich'n'Rach said...

Amen, sister! That sounds like a great book, and one you know I could relate to since its about food haha we'll always have those three days of stuffing our faces at youth conference, Marc. I love ya, girl!

Liz said...

i love you! what a great post to read on a day when i'm feeling blah. thanks marci. :)