September 28, 2010

Hero

For the past few months I have been working at Fast Track Physical Therapy and I really enjoy it! I get to work with really great people and patients everyday.

About a month ago, we had a 72 year old man come in, barely able to walk without a cane in one hand, and holding on to someone else with his other hand. Each day he has an appointment, I wait for him to pull up in the parking lot so I can hold his hand into the building, and then I walk him out after his therapy. He just doesn't dare walk alone, and to me, it's such a small service to help him. To him, it's a huge service. In those couple minutes that I'm holding his hand, he only has kind words for me, gratitude, jokes, etc. And he RARELY comes in without bringing me a small gift. His gifts have included:

2 dum-dum suckers
Grapes from his garden
Plums from a friends garden
Homemade soup
Old news articles featuring him (he's an artist from Pakistan)
Samples of horrible smelling perfume
And finally, yesterday, he picked a rose from his garden for me


He told me how important it is for him to give, that it's something that always makes him happy. He used to be a Yoga and Meditation Master, but he can't do yoga anymore because of his physical limitations. He used to be a painter but can't see or hold the brushes as well. He loves to cook but can't stand for too long in the kitchen. My favorite thing he has ever said to me is "I am a genius in many ways, but I can not walk."

I had to write about him because I don't want to forget him, his sense of humor, his willingness to give all he has, and his endless gratitude for everyone around him that will give him a smile. I don't think it's a coincidence either than his first name is Hiro (hero).

3 comments:

Hali said...

How sweet is this old man, can I come into your office and wait to meet him? Well done Marci, I think it is people like this man that make us better people.

Mom said...

What a wonderful example you both are for all of us. "For in as much as ye have done it unto one of the least of these, my bretheren, ye have done it unto me." You are wonderful, Babe.

clairesmom05 said...

Awww...that is so cute! What a great experience.